SOL #12 - My first pet

^He looked something like this, green with some black spots.

This happened about 2-3 years ago during summer break.

At the summer camp, I went to, there were 4 age groups with different counselors. 3-5, 6-8, 9-10, and Teens. Although I wasn't really a teen, I was in the teen group. Every year, our camp signed up for an event called the "Teen Olympics".

Basically, a bunch of teen groups from other local summer camps would compete in for-fun sporting events, the main prize was a popcorn machine (that would go to the camp).

Everyone in the teen group got on a bus. This bus wasn't fancy, it was just a regular school bus. Some of the older teens went in a minivan with the other counselors.

Once we got there, we competed. My group got 3rd place (out of like 20 or so groups). We didn't win the popcorn machine.

Since our bus wouldn't arrive for another 30 minutes or so, the counselors let us go the nearby pond while waiting.

Among the numerous mosquitos, there were frogs. Many small, green frogs.

My friend dared me to take one home. I did.

We named it (I'm pretty sure it was a guy since it was larger than the other frogs, but I'm not checking) Kermit.

We held him, and surprisingly he didn't try to jump out as long as we periodically moistened him.

Once we were back at the Liberty Center, we messed around with Kermit. Letting him eat ants and stuff that were present around the building.

When my Dad came to pick me up, I smuggled Kermit into my lunchbox.

At home, I found an old fish tank and kept him in there. I put some dirt, some water, and I fed him periodically.

I found myself happy to take care of Kermit, but after about 6 weeks I found him dead in the fish tank. I had no idea as to how he died, I'd like to think that he was just old, to begin with.

I brought him back to camp after he died and explained that he just died that morning. Since I brought him there inside a pokemon tin, we kept him in there.

We treated it as his casket and proceeded to dig a hole near the Liberty Center's parking lot. We left a few things down there buried with him. I think the container is still there to this day, with a frog skeleton and some pokemon cards inside.

Comments

  1. This is an interesting story. What a great way to remember a beloved animal. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts