SOL #1 - I've got 99 problems and the Beach is 1



Slice of life: A small, arbitrary tidbit of the writer's life
I plan on posting these every day until April. 

~~ back in 2015 ~~
 [For several years now, I've been attending the same summer camp at the liberty center. At the end of the summer, we take a field trip to North Avenue Beach]

A Friday, in July 2015, Me and my other friends at summer camp prepare for a day at the beach. It's a balmy 88 degrees outside. We all pack up our sunscreen, towels, goggles and ice cream money.

About 11:30 PM, the kids and the counselors gather under a weird tarp thingy (someone brought it), we eat our lunches there.

A few minutes after we're done eating, my friend, Xavier comes up with a bright idea. 

We should all bury eachother neck deep into the sand!

They bury me first, within 20 minutes I'm neck deep into sand. I relax there, messing around with the younger kids at camp and the other people at the beach.

A few minutes later, clouds cover the sky up. I feel the sensation of drizzle on my nose. Everybody gathers under the tarp, but I decide to bunker down and see what happens if I stay.

The downpour has started, sand-infused water everywhere. I'm having trouble breathing. The rain soon stops. The sand is *still* wet. The sand puts tremendous pressure on me, I can breath but not that deeply. I call out my friends, they can't pull me out. I ' m   s t u c k.

The counselors notice me struggling to get out (I was like, 4 feet deep in the sand), they call over a life guard to dig me out. After about 3 minutes of them digging me out of the sand, I can pull myself out. I get scolded by the counselors, and they fill up the hole to avoid a toddler from dissapearing into it.

I, in my soaked, sand filled trunks waddle over to the cold, Lake Michigan water to wash off.








Comments

  1. Wow that was spooky. It’s like a scene from those old horror movies where they start to get sucked up into the quicksand. Overall I really liked your story! Your word choice is great and I could really picture what was going on. Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extra props for the title too

    ReplyDelete
  3. On that day, Vince's life flashed before his eyes. It must've felt like being trapped in quicksand except the sand was wet and solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story is very funny. It made me crack up a few times while reading this. I’m glad you got out. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts