TWM Final Project

Throughout Memoir Tuesdays with Morrie, there are many different aphorisms and inspirational quotes. For my final TWM project, I chose the aphorism "Aging is not just decay, you know. It's growth".

This aphorism's message is still relevant, as everyone deals with aging, and eventually death. When Morrie said this, he was trying to tell Mitch (and the reader) that aging is just a part of life, and that it can be beneficial in a way, by letting you grow as a person.

When I was thinking about this Aphorism and what I would draw to represent it, I made a connection between the aphorism and the Pixar movie "Up". In up, we watch a young boy named Carl Fredrickson age and go through multiple major life experiences, like his marriage, purchasing a house with his wife, his wife's unfortunate miscarriage, and his wife's eventual death in a few minutes. By the end of the montage, Carl is already in his late 70's and has experienced many things in his life. At this point, Carl feels as if he has nothing left to accomplish, but he is then later inspired to fulfill his wife's final wish. This gives Carl a sense of purpose in his life, growing himself as a person. I related my aphorism to this movie because both are on the topic of aging and growth. Up also relates to the "decay" part of aging, showing how much Carl's body has weakened since he was younger.

"Up" Opening sequence

Personally, I agree with this aphorism. I used to disagree with it because before reading TWM, I thought that once you hit your peak early in life, growth stops and everything goes down from there. While this is mostly true, Morrie has proved me wrong. In the book, he is shown to have a renewal of faith, even as his physical body is rapidly deteriorating. This surprised me, changing my opinion on aging to make me agree with what Morrie said.

Personal Aphorism: "Life has no value unless you give it one"



Comments

Popular Posts