Tuesdays with Morrie - Death

 For the last few days in ELA, we have been reading the memoir Tuesdays with Morrie (ironically, we started reading on a Tuesday) in class and at home. Every Tuesday, the Narrator Mitch Albom and his sociology Morrie Schwartz meet to discuss different aspects of life, and how to cope or deal with them. Currently, we have read up to the 5th Tuesday, the topics discussed between Mitch and Morrie are The World, Feeling sorry for yourself, Regrets, Death, and Family.

I, personally, have been impacted the most by what was discussed on the fourth Tuesday; Death. This personally affects me the most because of how Morrie speaks, he uses few words to address Death now that he is directly in front of its door: “once you learn how to die, you learn how to live”. This impacted me the most because I never thought of death in the way that Morrie does. I learned from Morrie that in order to live life to the fullest, you have to acknowledge death without letting it control how you behave.

Another part of the fourth Tuesday that really affected me was when Morrie discussed some of the things that most people take for granted or think of as nugatory. This was on page 84, “I look out that window every day. I notice the change in the trees, how strong the wind is blowing. It’s as if I can see time actually passing through that window-pane. Because I know my time is almost done, I am drawn to nature like I’m seeing it for the first time”. This ties in with Morrie’s other quote, Morrie is acknowledging death, this allows him to appreciate his surroundings and live the rest of his life to the fullest.

There are multiple important conversations that are had in the time this book takes place, but the topic of how to acknowledge death interested me quite a bit. I hope to learn more from this wonderful memoir as I continue reading it.


Comments

Popular Posts